Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Casa Grande Ruins

So many of you have probably never heard of the Casa Grande Ruins (we hadn't until we had lived here for about 6 months)...they are actually located in Coolidge, AZ about 20 minutes from us. Instead of growing up to be firemen, "army guys", policemen, or "para-dead-ics" the boys want to be "arch-e-tologists-ists" each time we visit the ruins (which sounds a bit less dangerous to me so I'm all for it!)


The Casa Grande ("Big House") is the tallest and most massive Hohokam building known standing 35 feet tall...all made from about 3000 tons of caliche (mud...without bricks or blocks...just mud). It was built in the early 1300's and had beams of "imported" pine, juniper, and fir from mountains over 50 miles away. So there's your little history lesson from our spot on the planet.
Charlie had to work almost all weekend...Diane and Brandon flew in just after a rainstorm that put all construction behind schedule (but gave Charlie a couple "Rain Days" off of work...which I enjoyed since I was sick at the time).
The doors were really short and narrow...the boys think it was a city built for KIDS ONLY.
We really try not to play favorites...but I think Aunt Dan Dan will always be Seth's favoritist Aunt (at least until he's too tall for piggy-back rides).

2 comments:

Kendyl said...

There's actually a city in AZ that's named 'cool'....

once upon a poppy said...

i'm glad you're back and hope you are all better. we got seth's message. it is so cute! thanks